Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
davidm davidm is offline

Default MID STATEMENT vs MID FUNCTION

I have tried to deploy the 2 MID concepts-Statement vs. Function t
effect replacements in a range-----and have gotten stuck in a spin.

Consider, lines of string like:

*** CODE1 Begins here ****
<some other lines
*** CODE2 Begins here ****
<some other lines
etc. etc. etc.

occupying Range("A1:A2150").

I need to convert to comments all lines beginning with asterick (*) an
have them read as follows:

Rem CODE1 Begins here ****
<some other lines
Rem CODE2 Begins here ****

The code I stitched up (largely to test out the nuances of the MI
FUNCTION and MID STATEMENT) is:

Sub CommentOutWithRem()

Dim c as variant ' as Range or Object produces MisMatch errors
For each c in Range("a1:a2150")
If Mid(c,1,1)="*" Then Mid(c,1,3)="REM"
*'the sticky point follows in making an assignment:
'note, no action takes place if the code ends here.
*
c.value =c.value 'error: object required
c.Value = Mid(c, 1, 3) = "REM" 'error: object required
End if

next

End sub

Can someone kindly unknot the problem here? [I have very easily applie
other routine constructs to do what I want the code to do but there ar
obviously useful lessons to be learnt about theinteraction of the MI
function and its kin, the statement.

Many thanks in advance

--
david