Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jac Tremblay[_4_] Jac Tremblay[_4_] is offline

Default Calculation problem

Hello everyone,

Someone sent me an Excel workbook that behaves in a bizarre way. There is no
virus nor any macros in it.

Example: I insert a formula in the cells H2:H10, something like:

=F2&G2

But instead of displaying the result of the formula, I see the same formula
(=F2&G2) in all the cells. The Option/Display formulas check box is not
checked, that is the first thing I verified. But the formula is not
recognized at all. Actually, it should display:

=F2&G2
=F3&G3
=F4&G4

which is not the case. It's always =F2&G2 in all the cells. Bizarre!

In some cells, if I insert a simple formula, i get a correct result. But in
most cells, the same problem remains.

Another thing happens in the other sheet (there are only two of them) where
a pivot table was created: when I double-click on a data cell, the characters
displayed in some cells turns to some kind of chinese dialect (even though
the Format/Cells/Font option shows Arial 10).

Has anyone ever come across such a weird behaviour? What could be the
problem with that workbook and where should I look to find some answer?

Both of us use Excel 2003 version 11.5612.5606
--
Jac Tremblay