Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Norman Jones Norman Jones is offline

Default Shrinking an Excel File

Hi Robert,

Yep, ta. That doesn't really answer my question though

You initially said:

I find if I alter a whole lot of cells the
file size grows; as you'd expect. If I then delete the rows that
contain
these cells the file size doesn't shrink again.

I would expect that, in this scenario, properly restting the used range
*would* reduce the size.

In limited testing, my results confirmed this expectation.

Have you tried running Debra's DeleteUnused macro?

---
Regards,
Norman

"Robert Mulroney" wrote in
message ...
Yep, ta. That doesn't really answer my question though.

I really need to know that my excel file is as small as it possibly can
be.
In Access there is a function "Compact and repair database" that removes a
lot of the blank space in the files left behind by addind and deleting
from
the file. Something like that is what I'm looking for.

The strange thing is I can remake the file with exactly the same "looking"
sheets and modules but the files sizes are varstly diffrent. It's almost
like
the more you play with a file the bigger is gets.

- Rm

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Robert,

See Debra Dalgleish's notes on restting the used range at:

---
Regards,
Norman

"Robert Mulroney" wrote in
message ...

I'm creating an excel template, I find if I alter a whole lot of cells
the
file size grows; as you'd expect. If I then delete the rows that
contain
these cells the file size doesn't shrink again.

In a template that is going to be used to create a lot of documents the
file size is quite important. We need to store these documents for 3 to
5
years. Is there anyway, maybe some kind of tool, that can minimise an
Excel
file size?

- Robert Mulroney