Earl Kiosterud

Tim,

You need an alphabetic sort, but your 5-digit zip codes are numeric. You
can convert them all with a helper column. Presuming the list is in A2 and
down:

=TEXT(A1,"00000")

Copy down with Fill Handle.

Now to permanently convert the originals, select all of helper column,
noting which cell your selection started, Copy. Select the corresponding
(first) cell in the original column. Edit - Paste special - values. You no
longer need the helper column. Now sort.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Tim C" wrote in message
Excel 2003

When I sort a list that contains text that looks like numbers, I am NOT
getting the pop-up asking if whether I want them to sort as numbers or
text. It just automatically sorts text that looks like numbers as numbers,
which is not what I want.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim C