Jog Dial

Default How can I assign a number to a string?

Hi,

I'm a total newb at Excel and doing a risk assessment for my company.

I have three risk values, 0.1, 0.5 and 1.0

I would like to assign these values to the words Low, Medium and High,

Or better yet, the strings

Low (0.1), Medium (0.5), High (1.0)

Basically, I just want these words in a cell to reall mean a number

So in my spreadsheet, I can have a column with the words

Low, Medium or High and that column can be multiplied by another number
column.

Have googled all over for this and searched help, but can't find anything
quite this simple that I can still understand. Can anyone tell me how to do
this?

While I can get buy using two columns for now and cutting and pasting etc...
this is an ongoing project so I'd like to get this to work so when I change a
value from medium to low, the final risk value will change.

Thanks
--
If a man speaks in a woods and there is no woman there to hear him...
Is he still wrong?