Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
fritzj8 fritzj8 is offline

Default Help with Formulas

I need help with creating a formula. I want to count the total numbe
of individuals who meet a certain criteria in one column and a certai
criteria in another column. For example: I want to find out the tota
number of people who live in Germany and went on a specific trip. Fo
argument sake let's say column A is at lists only Y or N for yes an
no, and column B is a list of Countries such as Germany, America, etc.
I would like to figure out the total number of individuals who have a
in column A and the word Germany in column B. This is what I have don
so far and it works for counting only those with Germany in column B o
a Y in column A:

=COUNTIF('[Spreadsheet Name.xls]'!$B:$B,"Germany") or
=COUNTIF('[Spreadsheet Name.xls]'!$A:$A,"Y")

The first formula will give me the total number of individuals with th
word Germany in column B, and the second will give me a total number o
individuals with a Y in column A. How can I combine these two formula
to come up with one that will only count those individuals who have bot
the word Germany in column B and a Y in column A? I appreciate you
assistance with this matter. Please respond to

Thanks,
Frit

--
fritzj