Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Norman Jones Norman Jones is offline

Default Code to different object models

Hi John,

Our firm deploys different versions of Microsoft Office: Office 2000,
Office
XP and now Office 2005. How do I code in VBA from Office & Excel XP (2003)
to be compatible across the object models of these versions of Excel?

You should always code to the lowest common denominator, i.e. develop your
code in the lowest version which may be encountered.

If, conversely, code is developed in a later version, then use of new
features will, necessarily, cause run-time errors when the code is run under
an older version.

2nd question: Is there a method to reduce the size of a workbook with many
sheets and macros. The workbook size is above 1.5 mb; the user community
desires smaller sizes to enable faster email upload/download times.

If the workbook size seems disproportionately large:
(1) Consider downloading Rob Bovey's CodeCleaner addin which is freely
downloadable at:

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/Utilities.htm

(2) See Debra Dalgleish's notes on the UsedRange and filesize at:

You might also wish to consider moving code from the workbook to an addin.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Wboson" wrote in message
Our firm deploys different versions of Microsoft Office: Office 2000,
Office
XP and now Office 2005. How do I code in VBA from Office & Excel XP (2003)
be compatible across the object models of these versions of Excel?

There seems to be differences in the object models and functions and/or
constants that are available for setting properties. I am having problems
with borders, colors and formatting of cells from one version to the next.
VBA based macros that work in one version generate a run-time error in a
different version.

2nd question: Is there a method to reduce the size of a workbook with many
sheets and macros. The workbook size is above 1.5 mb; the user community
desires smaller sizes to enable faster email upload/download times.

Thank You for your consideration.
--
John