Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MauroBCT MauroBCT is offline

Default Time displaying as decimal

Obvious isn't it ;- ? Thanks very much for your help.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

The value is a fractional amount - that's how XL stores times, as
fractional days. You could use

strDateStart = ActiveCell.Text

if you want to rely on the cells' formatting.

Or you might try

strDateStart = Format(ActiveCell.Value, "hh:mm")

to make sure you have the format you want.

In article ,
"MauroBCT" wrote:

I am working on some macros to automate charting and am having trouble with
the column that contains the times (x values).

In particular, the column is formatted as type "Custom hh:mm" and so I
simply tried the following:

strDateStart = ActiveCell.Value

which returns a decimal time. I have tried applying the TimeValue function
to the cell contents

strDateStart = TimeValue(ActiveCell.Value)

but it gives me a type mismatch error.

Could anyone please shed any light on this.

Thanks a lot

P.S. The Excel spreadsheet has been itself auto-generated via a third party
Delphi application. So I cannot control the original format of the source
data.