Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Norman Jones Norman Jones is offline

Default Rearranging data in a text cell

Hi David,

(1) always want more, how do I limit it to only 3 cells

The third Text to Columns wizard screen inludes a 'Do not import column
(skip)' option which can be checked for columns 4+.

(2) Can you give me a quick overview on creating a macro? Have never
done one before.

you may wish to visit David McRitchie's 'Getting Started With Macros And
User Defined Functions' at:

---
Regards,
Norman

"giddne" wrote in message
Norman, great answer, works like a charm. Two questions though, ya know
we
always want more, how do I limit it to only 3 cells - (Doe John T)? I'm
not
interested in the rest of the data. I could delete them but would rather
not.

Number 2 - Can you give me a quick overview on creating a macro? Have
never
done one before.

Thanks again.
David

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi David,

With your data selected, try:

Data | Text to columns | Delimited | Next | Select the 'Space' option
| Next | Finish

If you need to do this programmatically, turn on the macro recorder and
perform the above manual operation.

This should provide code which can be adapted for general application.

---
Regards,
Norman

"giddne" wrote in message
I have cells with names to use in direct mail. The current format could
be
many variations but I only need the first 3 names initials etc. such as
John
Doe or John W Doe. I am not interested in anything after that.
Putting
it
in 3 separate cells would be ideal but 1 or 2 would also be acceptable.

Current formats include all of these:
Doe John
Doe John W
Doe John W JR