Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Charlie Charlie is offline

Default Massive Array needed....in code

Me too. Why have to pick a number anyway? Why not let the user enter a
random number in a text box, from 1 to 400K, and use that number to select
your number from that position in your array?

NumberPicked = MyNumbers(AtPositionOfUsersRandomNumber)

P.S. Definitely calc the numbers only once and save them to a file somewhere.

"NickHK" wrote:

jason,
If it were me using your app, I would get annoyed if I had to choose from
50-100 values, never mind 50,000. As such I would pick 1 at random instead
of wasting time going through the list(s).
Does the user really have to choose a key for encryption ?
Would they care ?

NickHK

"jasonsweeney"
wrote in message
news:jasonsweeney.1uoaah_1125565543.1477@excelforu m-nospam.com...

nick,

I am testing an encyption algorithm. In the case of the algorithm I am
testing, there are a total of 406,396 possible "keys" that can be used.
I do have an algorithm that creates the numbers (all numbers are
relative primes to a modulus) but it takes, say, 1 minute to come up
with the 406,396 numbers using the algorithm. That computation time is
too slow for my purposes.

Instead, since the array only needs to be calculated once, I would like
to keep the numbers in memory so I can "pull" numbers from, say, the
middle of the array quickly.

I am intrigued with your text file idea....I've never worked with that
concept before...how does it work?

Regarding the selection process, I will probably break the numbers up
so the user can select, say, a menu of numbers 1 through 50,000, a
different menu for 50,001 through 100,000, etc.

-- Jason

--
jasonsweeney
jasonsweeney's Profile: