Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dutch Gemini Dutch Gemini is offline

Default Removing Add-ins programmatically from Excel 2003 using VBScript

I have a small VBScript that uses Excel Automation Server to install [and
update] an XLA file. Within the same package, I also provide an UnInstall
routine.

I have 2 problems:

1) To get rid of the XLA, I cannot use "Application.AddIns.Remove(<ref)"
*since this method is unknown to VBA* but I have to issue an
"Application.AddIns(<ref).Installed = False" first and then, after I quit
Excel Automation server, to physically delete the file. After that, the
Add-In does not load anymore but it still appears in my Add-Ins list; Excel
will delete it only after I click on the 'invalid' entry. Is there a way
(without going thru the registry) to really get rid of Add-Ins
programmatically?

2) If I issue an "Application.AddIns(<ref).Installed = False" and next
issue an "Application.AddIns.Add" with the same XLA but from a different
folder, Excel continues to link the first one. Is there a way to update the
Add-ins programmatically so that I link the right one?

I have seen that Excel continues to swap Add-ins from the registry key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\ Excel\Options" for those
loaded and installed ('OPEN', 'OPEN1', 'OPEN2', ...) the key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\ Excel\Add-in Manager" for
those loaded but not installed (using the internal name of the Add-in, for
instance 'My Addin').

Could not find any relevant info on MSDN/Microsoft.

Help needed