Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Cannot lock project

You mentioned that you had changed versions of Excel in you testing. I
notice file size changes in different versions of excel. I assume you have
eliminated this as a possible cause.

another thought is if you are comparing protected to unprotected.

Tom Ogilvy

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message

I'm glad the workaround worked ok for you.

Not as glad as I am, thanks again!

I've never had a problem saving from the VBE, but I've read a few posts

where
the authors say they avoid it because of problems they've had.

Yes I've also read similar and don't normally save from the VBE. The

problem
though couldn't be fixed by saving changing IsAddin to false, locking,

then
saving in Excel. However the problem commenced having saved in the VBE,

from
then on couldn't be fixed.

In my development project I already have something similar to Thomas

Ramel's
code (below), it does other things to. But I had removed pending
distribution.

==============

FWIW, an unexpected observation -

The normal size of my old project varied from 1.4mb (no code ever run) to
2.2mb. In both cases just after using Rob Bovey's Codecleaner to strip and
clean, the larger file size if I then do a full compile and save.

But after saving both types of files from the immediate window the
respective file sizes reduced by about 300kb.

Seemed odd so I built a brand new identical file with similar sheets and
dragged modules from the old file to the new. The new saves to the same
lower file sizes respectively.

Me thought - must be some garbage built up in the old worksheets, even
though the project is mainly code and little in the way of worksheet

stuff.
I removed all modules from the old file and looked at file size. Very

small
and just as expected to account for the sheets, about 100kb.

Bearing in mind the old project was freshly stripped and cleaned, I'm
curious as to what that phantom 300kb accounted for. Even more curious as

why this 300Kb suddenly disappeared ONLY because I saved from the

immediate
window. Replicates with back-ups of old non-problematic files.

Regards,
Peter T

In a different forum, Thomas Ramel posted some code that he adds to an

addin.
You may like it:

=========================
From Thomas Ramel:

If ThisWorkbook.Saved = True Then Exit Sub
If MsgBox("Save changes in Add-In" & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & _
UCase(ThisWorkbook.VBProject.Name) & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & _
"?", vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ThisWorkbook.Save
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Now every time I changed something in the Code and forgot to save it
manually I get a reminder, wehe I close Excel.

Regards
Thomas Ramel

Peter T wrote:

Hi Dave, thanks for responding. Comments in line -

My bet is that you're opening a different file than you're saving.

No, definately working with the same file. But I'd better not be that
dogmatic (see later).

Make sure that the addin's project is active before saving.

Yes always active, selected in vbe project's panel, then save from

vbe.

And as a workaround (I've never had the trouble you describe), you

can
change
the workbook's .addin property to false. (Select your project, hit

F4
see
properties and look for IsAddin.)

I've tried locking & saving with IsAddin True (from vbe) and False

(from
both Excel & vbe)

Then you can go back to excel and save that workbook as an addin

(remember
change the filetype) via that interface.

Similar to one step above. But also locked what was an xls with SaveAs

xla
while still a visible workbook. I've also tried copying the file to
different folders, renaming, trying each with different passwords

(only
one
open at a time). Each time it/they re-open unlocked. A password

obviously
exists though no asteriks, after entering the correct pw for that file

can
tick the Lock checkbox. Check Fullname each time. Repeat the save, all

to no
avail. Also emptied temporary folders and repeated in new sessions of

Excel
and even Windows.

Another way while in the VBE:
hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window):
type this and hit enter:
workbooks("youraddinname.xla").save

Well blow me down! that's just worked !!

Bit of a mystery but thank you very much.

Regards,
Peter T

Peter T wrote:

In XL2K, after closing all module windows, I "lock project for

viewing"
and
password protect my addin. Save from the vbe, close XL.

When I reopen XL and my addin, the project is not locked.

I go back into Project properties / Protection and the lock check

box
and
password dialogs are empty. If I now tick the lock checkbox I'm

asked
for my
password (although no asterisks appear in the password textbox's).

Enter
password, everything seems normal. Save, close, reopen and back to

the
same
situation.

The project is "clean" and correctly compiled.

Any ideas how to resolve without rebuilding the addin appreciated.

Regards,
Peter T

--

Dave Peterson