Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Differebnce betwen VB and VB,.net

Were you saying buy VBA as a product and use it as a development
environment?

VBA is a product that developers can use to install a macro language in
their application.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/isv/techno...a/default.aspx

I don't believe it provides the facilities to make a standalone application.
(although it may include classic VB and/or other language, but then why not
just get classic VB ).

Tom Ogilvy

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
I believe that MS licensed VBA to others--IIRC, AutoCad uses VBA, too.

Jim Thomlinson wrote:

Both VB and VB.net are stand alone applications which can create

precompiled
executable files (don't need Excel or any other program to run). VBA is

subset of VB6. It only works in conjuction with Office. VB.Net is the
latestest version of Visual Basic. Essentially it is VB7. There are more
differences between VB6 and VB.net than can be discussed on this form.

In a
nut shell VB.net is designed to work better with the other MS

developement
applications like C# and C++, as they all compile to similar source

code.
This means that VB6 code needs to be modified to complie under VB.net

(no
more changing the option base, error handling is drastically changed,

every
project must have a "Main" procedure...). Also VB.net is truely object
oriented while VB6 is not (a little bit but not completely).

As Tom mentioned VB6 and VB.net can be purchased stand alone or as part

of
the MS Developer Suite (The same way you can purchase just Excel or you

can
purchase the entire office suite).
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can

find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can

use VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

--

Dave Peterson