Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Out of Memory?

Do you have the zoom set to 100% on all sheets? Not being at 100% was a
source for out of memory errors in xl97. Also, charts used to be
troublesome and it had something to do with font scaling - but I would think
the later SP would be more resiliant than the early one, but one never
knows.

Tom Ogilvy

"CLR" wrote in message
Okey........

I put the file on my C: drive of the offending machine and I still have

the
"Out of Memory" problem when I try to start the VBE.
I obtained and ran Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner and I also still have the

problem.

Any other ideas please?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Vic Eldridge" wrote:

Two things I'd try,

1\ Don't run the file from your "Jump Drive". Copy it to your hard

drive
first and run it from there.

2\ Download Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner utility and see if it helps.

Regards,
Vic Eldridge

"CLR" wrote:

Hi again..........

Here at home I have WinMe and Excel2k, 512MB RAM, 1.2ghz AMD
processor................I just used the System Monitor to measure

47MB
difference in unused memory just by starting Excel, then 6mb more by

opening
my WorkBook, and then no noticible difference by starting the VBE,

and/or by
firing a macro that inserts about 300 VLOOKUP formulas into one of the

39
sheets.............

Keep in mind, the Workbook works fine on the little laptop with only

96MB
RAM, and Excel97SP-1, as it does here at home on XL2k. The only place

I'm
having trouble with it is the machine at work on the LAN with
Excel97SP-2......there, the VBE just will not open anymore, responding

"Out
of Memory".

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote in message
Excel has a limit and I was just wondering what the OS thought that

the
system was using. If I recall correctly the PLDT virus could chew up

some
memory. Well still be here tomorrow...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"CLR" wrote:

Dont know, the problem machine is at work and I'm home

now......will
check
tomorrow...........I do remember that the =INFO("memused") was

less than
5
MB before I tried to open the VBE, but no way to tell about after,
because
it would not open............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote in message
What does your task manager say the memory usage on excel is

just
prior to
opening the VBE and just after?
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"CLR" wrote:

There is no macro running........I only open the book,

right-click
on
the
MainMenu tab and choose ViewCode, and that's when I get the

"Out of
Memory"
pop-up,....it won't do anything from there.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

While the macro is running check out the memory usage in the

Task
Manager to
get an accurate reading of how much memory Excel I actually

using.
Caompare
this to the addressable memory listed on that site that I

sent
you. I
highly
doubt that your issue is machine related. The service pack

issue
is a
more
likely cause. The new service pack could be doing something

that
ups
the
memory usage...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"CLR" wrote:

That's interesting Jim, thanks, but my problem persists.
My filesize is less than 2MB
=INFO("memused") reports less than 5MB
The file runs fine on a system that has half the processor

speed
and
20% the
RAM of the offending system with the only other difference

being
the
machine
that won't run is Win98SE (on a network) and the little

one that
will is
WINMe stand alone. This would kinda/sorta infer that the
problem is
machine-related. Also, FYI, I run this file off my pocket

Jump
Drive,(not
the network) so it's "really" the same file that will work

on
one
machine and
not on the other.......maybe some kind of a setting in
Excel..........the
file opens fine on both systems, I just get this Out of

Memory"
pop-up when I
try to go to the VBE.

One more thing I just noticed......both systems are

Excel97, but
the
offending one is SR-2 and the one that works is
SR-1........could
the problem
be therein?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

Everything you wanted to know about Excel Memory but

were
affraid
to ask...

http://www.decisionmodels.com/index.htm
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"CLR" wrote:

Hi All......

I'm working on a Excel97 Program that has several

hundred
macros. My office
computer (833mhz, 512mb RAM) has started giving me a
"Microsoft
Visual Basic
Out of Memory" error message. Sometimes it will go

away if
click ok about
20-25 times, sometimes not. The same file runs fine

on my
laptop (366mhz,
96MB RAM).....just recently MIS put a icon in my

systray
about
"Webroot Spy
Sweeper".....might they have finally added the

"straw", or
could
something
else maybe be causing this problem. I don't have the

same
problem on simpler
Excel files on the same computer, but DO have it on

other
complicated files.

TIA
Vaya con Dios,