Bill Ridgeway

It is all very well relying on doing things automatically with, say, macros.
The problem with this approach is that unless the macro is well written and
positively tested to cover all conditions you can get into the "it must be
OK if it was done by the computer" mentality and have a database with some
'funnies'. Either testing to make sure the macro is comprehensive or
checking after running you may have to check every record.

I would suggest a helper column with the first 5 significant characters of
the title. Sorting on this column should do the job.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Ronnie" <Ronnie @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I was making a list of movies and I'm wanting to sort them by name, but how
can I get excel to ignore words like "the" and "a" and recognize the first
word after that