David McRitchie

Hi Ronnie,
Another way just using worksheet formulas:
SUBSTITUTE is case sensitive

Do you include "The" in the sort if it is the first word?

Create a helper column.
=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE( SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(A16)," and "," ")," the "," ")," a "," ")," on "," ")," in ","
"))

The Wind in the Willows the wind willows
The Cat and the Fiddle the cat fiddle
Thousand and One Space Odessey thousand one space odessey
The Prince and the Pauper the prince pauper

If you want the as the first word to disappear
instead of TRIM(A16) use
=" " & A16
and then you could add one more substitution

---
HTH,

"Ronnie" <Ronnie @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message ...
I was making a list of movies and I'm wanting to sort them by name, but how
can I get excel to ignore words like "the" and "a" and recognize the first
word after that