Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
K Dales[_2_] K Dales[_2_] is offline

Default File opening via Macro with varying file name

The easy way to do it would be to record your macro with a sample file, and
then where you have the file name in the code replace it with the cell value
like in this example where I am using what is in cell A1 as the file name:

If recorded code has something like:
Workbooks.Open "C:\my documents\test\10097.xls"
Change it to read:
Workbooks.Open "C:\my documents\test\" & Range("A1").Value & ".xls"
--
- K Dales

"TomFish79" wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to open an excel file using a macro. The name of the file
to be opened is variable, based on a cell in the main excel spradsheet.
To clarify:

In "master.xls" I have a cell who's contents are "10097". I would like
to run a macro which will open the file C:\my documents\test\10097.xls

Obviously, when the cell in "master.xls" changes a different file
should be opened. How easy/hard is this? I'm a complete beginner and
I normally only generate code automatically using the record maro
function.

Thanks, Tom

--
TomFish79