Dave Peterson

Since it's happening everytime you start excel...

Guess #1:

You may want to try cleaning up your windows Temp folder.

Close excel (and any thing else running--just to be safe)
windows start button|run
%temp%

and delete all the files/folders you can.

Then test it to see if that helps.

Guess #2:

Close excel
windows start button|search (or find)
*.xlb
(Look for hidden files in hidden folders, too)

Rename all of them to *.xlbOLD.

Start excel normally and see if it works ok.

If yes, then dump those *.xlbOLD files and customize your toolbar at your
leisure.

If there's still problems, then close excel and rename the *.xlbOLD files back
to *.xlb (no harm, no foul!).

(I have more faith in guess #2! Lots of people have had trouble with *.xlb
files.)

Ken McLennan wrote:

G'day there Dave,

Maybe running Rob Bovey's code cleaner would help:

I have a copy of Rob's code cleaner here at the moment. I've used
it previously to good effect. The problem now is that I can't open Excel
to use it.

If it happens on multiple workbooks, you may want to read Chip's page and play
around with the *.xlb file (the toolbar file can get corrupt and do bad things).

If it only happens on one workbook, maybe that workbook is corrupted and it's
time to rebuild it.

It doesn't happen on any workbook. It happens whenever I try to
open Excel with nothing in it except the 3-sheet workbook it starts up
with.

(Although, I would have guessed that File|Open (that workbook) would have caused
the same problem.)

It probably would, but I can't get that far to find out. The
application never opens to give me a File menu.

Thanks for your assistance. I don't even know where to start
looking. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

See ya
--
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia