Stephen

Thanks Morrigan.

I've never used 'solver' before, but I've loaded it in my 'add-ins' and
tried to do what you described.

However.. I'm not sure how to set constraints to binary.. This does not
appear to be in the 'options' of 'solver'. I'm using MS Excel 2003.

Stephen.

"Morrigan" wrote:

Use Solver to do this:

Make a new column (column B for now) of zero beside your cost. (This
is the cells you want to change)
Do a sumproduct in column C of columnA&B.
Make a cell = sum(column C) (This is your target cell)

In solver, set constraints to binary and run it.

Hope it helps

Stephen Wrote:
Hi all.

I have a column of cells that have many different values.

These values are numerical costs. ie 150.54, 5,541.00 ect

I have a numerical value that comprises of several of these cells
added
together. However I do not know which ones need to be added to get the
value
I'm looking for... Is there a function I can use that will take all
the
cells and advise which ones need to be added to equal my value? I
think this
might be a tough one..

Many thanks in advance Stephen.

--