Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
braindead braindead is offline

Default Web browser question

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is that the webpages I need to access
within Yahoo Finance have addresses that are relevant only once signed
into the site. Also querystring values but ones that refer to webpages
containing specifically compiled tables (mutual fund models of stocks
within each fund). Entering these addresses into a web query just
produces the YF login page (unlike individual stock pages that do work
as you noted).

This is why I'm working on automating the login (then I can hopefully
navigate to the useraccount-relevant pages and copy the tables into a
spreadsheet). Problem then with a webquery is that it always opens a new
browser window, so even if I manually login to YF, the subsequent
webquery opens in a new window.

As to the javascript and POST methods of the login forms, further
attention to the thread I referenced (http://www.developersdex.com
"Web browser question") did in fact reveal the solutions to
automatically logging in by using the login page's form data for
username, password, etc.

Now I'm trying to work out the kinks of navigating to the next webpage.
It worked a few times but I can't get it to be consistent.

Thanks again,

Brian