Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike Middleton[_4_] Mike Middleton[_4_] is offline

Default "Random Number Generation" Window?

Mike -

... Also, no example on how to fill some of the options correctly? For
xample, on how to fill the parameters block, I tried different ways on how
to enter the "Value and Probability Input Range" but none worked! <

The appropriate parameters depend on the type of distribution you choose.

If you choose "Discrete," the parameters must be values and probabilities on
a worksheet, as described in Help:

"Discrete
Characterized by a value and the associated probability range. The range
must contain two columns: The left column contains values, and the right
column contains probabilities associated with the value in that row. The sum
of the probabilities must be 1."

If you have questions about the discrete distribution or other types of
distributions, please post specific questions.

Also, there are other ways to obtain random numbers in Excel, including
dynamic formulas using the RAND worksheet function and specialized functions
in tryout versions of Monte Carlo simulation add-ins (like my RiskSim
available at www.treeplan.com). Depending on your application, these dynamic
methods may be better than the static values produced by the Random Number
Generation tool.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com