Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Greg Wilson Greg Wilson is offline

Default Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

I agree Steve. But in my case, the code is all I am concerned about.
Typically, the code is the important issue for developers. In my case, the
data isn't confidential and anyone can setup worksheet formattng. And my
projects are basically dysfunctional without the code.

Worksheet and workbook (as opposed to file open) protection can be broken in
seconds for those in the know. When I think of the people in my office and in
my industry who potentially would want my stuff, except for our IT guy, few
if any could even break worksheet protection. They wouldn't even know how to
implement VBA code. Therefore, the strategy I mentioned is of value for most
situations. After spending a zillion hours developing something we tend to
overestimate its perceived value to others.

Regards,
Greg

"STEVE BELL" wrote:

The only problem with events is that they are macros and anyone can open a
workbook and turn macros off.

They may not be able to get to the VBE code (???), but they can get to all
the worksheets...
(or some one could).

It all depends on the people...

For the most part - protection only helps prevent "accidents".

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond
"Greg Wilson" wrote in message
I don't disseminate any of my projects but only produce them for work and
install them on our system. To prevent a staff member from taking one of
them
if/when they leave the company, I include code in the Workbook_Open event
that looks for a simple text file and code phrase inside that file. If it
cannot be found then it won't open. They can make copies all they like but
can't open them outside of this environment. The people who would take my
stuff arn't skilled enough to crack VBProject protection.

Regards,
Greg

"fallingrock" wrote:

Anyone have some idea, tricks, code, suggestions, examples of how to
reduce if not prevent Excel-based products (like an Excel Template)
from being used by a person who did not buy it (i.e., illegal copying
and sharing)?

--
fallingrock
fallingrock's Profile: