Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Matt Lunn[_3_] Matt Lunn[_3_] is offline

Default Use Subtotal Function

Hi TJN,

Not sure what you mean here...

"Does anyone
know of a way to get the 456 and 560 to copy down to the cell on the same row
as the subtotal so when I hide those rows, I still know what account the
subtotal refers to?"

456 and 560 are your entity numbers. Subtotal is actually showing you a
summary by account number. Subtotal 1020 shows the sum aof all 1020's etc....

Please post back.

Thanks,
Matt

"TJN" wrote:

I have several columns of data and I would like to create subtotals based on
one of the columns. That is easy enough to do, but eventually I would like
to show only the subtotals (and hide the rows making up the subtotal) and
then copy the subtotals to a different sheet to be compared to some other
data. The problem I am having is that Excel puts the subtotal on the row
beneath the data. When I hide the rows making up the subtotal, I lose a
piece of information I need. Let me show you:
Entity # Acct # Amount
456 1020 100.00
456 1020 350.00
456 1020 200.00
456 2100 225.00
560 1025 200.00
560 1025 100.00

When I run the subtotal function, I get
Entity # Acct # Amount
456 1020 100.00
456 1020 350.00
456 1020 200.00
Subtotal 1020 650.00
456 2100 225.00
Subtotal 2100 225.00
560 1025 200.00
560 1025 100.00
Subtotal 1025 300.00

If I hide all but the subtotal rows, I lose the acct number. Does anyone
know of a way to get the 456 and 560 to copy down to the cell on the same row
as the subtotal so when I hide those rows, I still know what account the
subtotal refers to?

Thanks