Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Explanation needed for CopyAllModules code

In this case, I think the first "kill" was unnecessary. When I tested in xl2003
(under winXP), if the code.txt file existed, it was overwritten.

It looks like Chip just wanted to make sure that the file was gone--just in
case...

On the other hand, the second "kill" is nice. It cleans up after itself. But
since exporting will overwrite the existing file, the Kill could have been used
just once at the end of the routine (right before the "end sub" line).

davidm wrote:

Thanks to David McRitchie, I was able to deploy the following Chip
Pearson's code to import code modules (complete with their denizen of
procedures) from one workbook to my Personal workbook project. It
worked like charm!

Still in the glow of my delight, I have spent some hours trying to
figure out the logic of "killing" the Filename (FName) both prior to
exporting and importing. Could someone kindly shed some light on this.
I am baffled. (Below is the code).

Sub CopyAllModules()

Dim FName As String
Dim VBComp As VBIDE.VBComponent

With Workbooks("Storer")
FName = .Path & "\code.txt"
If Dir(FName) < "" Then
*Kill FName*
End If
For Each VBComp In .VBProject.VBComponents
If VBComp.Type < vbext_ct_Document Then
VBComp.Export FName
Workbooks("Personal").VBProject.VBComponents.Impor t FName
* Kill FName*
End If
Next VBComp
End With