Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default Use Parenthesis in Filenames - workaround??

Can you post the code for InterfaceMacro so we can try see what the problem is?

Using a Subroutine (not Function) I could open a file "Process
Detail(s).xls" OK so it's difficult to see where your problem lies.

"Andibevan" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion - I may have complicated things by trying to
simplify my example. The File paths are stored in excel and then use the
function to extract the required info about the file:-

e.g.

Cell a1 = "Process Details.doc" Cell b1 = InterfaceMacro(a1)
Cell a2 = "Process Detail(s).doc" cellb1 = InterfaceMacro(b1)

I am essentially grabbing at straws as I know what is causing the error in
my program (parenthesys in the filename) but I am unsure of the root cause.
In my example above row 1 will work, row 2 will not

"Toppers" wrote in message
Andi,
If I try =InterfaceMacro(Process Details.doc) i.e. not in quotes, I
get an error BUT if I put Procees Detail.doc (no quotation marks) in a cell
e.g B1 and then =InterfaceMacro(B1) it works for this and Procces
Detail(s).doc using my function previously defined.

Don't know if this helps any.

"Andibevan" wrote:

Toppers - I realise your example works - Essentially the macro's I am

using
pass the information (filename and path) to an external application.

The external application then processes the file. It works fine except

for
files without parenthysis but not with - I was wondering if this could be
attributed to any limitations of VBA?

"Toppers" wrote in message
Andi,

This works for me:

Function InterfaceMacro(FileName As String)
MsgBox FileName
End Function

=InterfaceMacro("Process Detail(s).doc")

=InterfaceMacro("Process Detail.doc")

HTH

"Andibevan" wrote:

Hi All,

I have got some code that interfaces between an application and excel.

It processes files for a version managing system - I am encountering a
problem when handling file names with parenthesis.

E.g.
If I put the following in a cell

=InterfaceMacro(Process Detail.doc) works

whereas =InterfaceMacro(Process Detail(s).doc) does not work.

I have spoken to the support team for the version managing system and

they
say their software can handly parenthesis (I am almost certain they are
correct). This leads me to believe that this is a possible limitation of
vba? Is there anyway I can get round this as I can't change my file

names.

Thanks in advance

Andi