Is there a way to make check boxes behave like option buttons (I cannot
substitute option buttons as they do not provide true/false returns).

There are two types of option buttons. controls and forms

The ones that are created using the Controls toolbar do give a direct true
false return to a linked cell. The properties allow you to set groups up.

The ones created using the Forms toolbar return a number as you have
identified.
you could then extract the true false using =$A$1=1 =$A$1=2... in your
linked formulae

Obviously if the need for a tick box is purely asthetic then I concur with
you view of your boss.

hth RES