Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
K Dales[_2_] K Dales[_2_] is offline

Default ADO SQL: Im getting CRAZY

The syntax is OK but I think probably the interpreter is having some trouble
due to ambiguity in the names (it is interpreting the [TestList$] as a
parameter, apparently - but only when you have the WHERE clause). The first
thing I would try is to give a complete reference to your WHERE clause like
this:
"SELECT * FROM [TestList$] WHERE [TestList$].[A] LIKE 'asdas'"
This might help MS Jet (assuming you are using Access) interpret the table
name and column correctly.

If that does not work, try building the query - at least this simple one -
using MSQuery instead of directly through ADO, and then view the SQL code
within MSQuery to see how it is written there. If you can get the query to
run in MSQuery, you can see what the proper syntax looks like and modify it
however you need to.

"VladimirM" wrote:

Hi all!

I cant solve very simple task.
All I need is a query "SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Field LIKE '*value*'"

But it seems Microsoft is too huge company to let me just do that like
in PHP.

Im using DAO because hope it will work more often then ADO now do :)

1) DAO worked ONLY whith syntax [TableName$] but most of examples not
using it.
2) I have working query

Sql = "SELECT * FROM [TestList$]"
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(Sql)

3) But cant make work WHERE clause like this:

"SELECT * FROM [TestList$] WHERE A LIKE 'asdas'"

It gives me Run-Time 3061. In the internet I read about some
_parameters_ in query.
Anybody can tell me which more PARAMETERS wants from me crazy excel
programmres?

Or just wrong syntax?
Please help.

--