Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Doug Glancy Doug Glancy is offline

Default erroneous "save changes?" message appears

Here's a snippet from a Google archives search:

Hi Sal:
If you have certain worksheet functions in your workbook (examples are
TODAY, NOW, OFFSET), they will be recalculated and even if there is no
change, Excel will present the Save Changes dialog.
Vasant

hth,

Doug

"crimsonkng" wrote in message
I am getting (what I think is) an erroneous "do you want to save your
changes?" message when I exit my .xls file (even though I didn't change

any
data).

It happens ONLY after I rest the highlight on a cell in which there's a
pull-down list (data validation). Again, I merely REST the highlight on

the
cell ... I don't pull the list down or choose any data. Excel is acting

as
if I did change data (hence the "save changes?" exit message) but I didn't
change data. Is that how a data-validated cell is supposed to work ...

that
if I just rest the highlight on the cell, that Excel thinks I changed the
data in that cell? (As long as I don't move the cell-highlight to a
data-validated cell, I don't get the save changes? message.)

More info, just in case it matters: the cell (B93) is a merged cell
(B93:F93). When I go to data validation, I get a message that says: "the
selection contains some cells that do not contain Data Validation

settings.
Do you want to extend data validation to these cells?" I answer "yes,"

and
the form comes up fine, with the proper data validation. But could this

have
something to do with the erroneous exit message?