Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson[_4_] Jim Thomlinson[_4_] is offline

Default Object Browser does what?

The error in your line of code is that you are not using the end property
instead you are using the constant associated with the property. End is what
you want to use, so the line will look like this:

ActiveSheet.Range(rFoundHd, rFoundHd.End(xlDown)).Select

A am assuming that you rFoundHd is a range object that is declared as a
range. As for the object browser it can be quite useful but it takes a bit of
practice and a bit of knowledge about the object you are using. Just keep
writing code and eventually it will be easy. That is what I keep telling
myself...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"davegb" wrote:

I've been told by others that the Object Browser is a useful tool for
figuring out if a given object/method/property exists under another
object/method/property. I haven't found this to be true. For example,
I'm getting an "Object does not support this property or method" error
on this line of code:

ActiveSheet.Range(rFoundHd, rFoundHd.xlDown).Select

I found the "ActiveSheet.Range" in this forum in many examples. When I
got the error, I looked up Range in VBA help, but it doesn't list
"ActiveSheet" as a parent to ".Range". (Of course, there's no way to
look up "ActiveSheet" and see it's children). So it appears that only
some relationships are shown. Is the OB a partial list? If so, it there
a pattern of some kind to tell what's listed and what's not, or is it
just that some objects/methods/properties were missed?

I've also been very confused when the Object Browser lists multiple
examples of the same parent/child relationship, like Range and
Worksheet. Why tell me twice that range is a child of Worksheet? Is it
because, according to Walkenbach, Worksheet can be an object, a
property or a method? I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

There seems to be lots of help for experts in using VBA, and none for
beginners. Walkenbach's book certainly falls into this category. I've
discussed this in an earlier post and accepted this now. But after
several months of working with VBA, I still don't see much use to the
OB if it's not a complete listing. For right now, I feel that if I want
to know if .Range is a child of ActiveSheet, I have to check the OB,
and if I don't find the relationship, I have to check in this NG to
make sure. Pretty tedious! Is this in fact the way to proceed?

In any case, I do appreciate the help I've gotten here. Without it, I'd
certainly be nowwhere with writing all the code I've written!

And btw, any ideas on why I'm getting the error message on that line of
code?