Mary Ann

Default Group Field in Pivot Table €“ Not Enough Room

I want to create a pivot table showing customer names as row headings and
total invoice values, grouped in intervals of 1000, as column headings. The
data field is also the invoice value.

When I drag the invoice value field to the column heading I receive the
following message:

€œThe field you re dropping into the column area exceeds 255 columns. Only
the first 255 will be displayed as columns. To include all of the fields
data in your pivot table report, drop it into a different area, such as the
data area. €œ

I choose to continue the drop and the following message appears:

€œThe Pivot table will not fit on the sheet. Do you want to show as much as
possible.€

I choose to show as much as possible and when I check the last column (IV)
the highest value is in the mid 300s.

I go ahead and group the values and get data from around -2000 to +7000
which appears to be complete.

I dont actually want to show a column for each value only for the grouped
values and I appear to have achieved that result. However, I would like to
hear from someone who knows more about pivot tables than I do that what I am
doing is OK. Am I running the risk of loosing some data when the groups
eventually appear? Maybe there is a limit on how many €œpotential€ columns
can be grouped before the data is lost.

I am using 2003.

Insight / reassurance would be welcome!