Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default How do I access an unopened spreadsheet from a program?

VBA doesn't support that. You can use an excel 4 macro command. You can
put a linking formula in a cell, and read the value returned, then clear the
formula (usually the fastest). You can use ADO to treat the closed workbook
as a data base. You can open the workbook, get the data, then close it.

Probably other ways as well.

Tom Ogilvy

"Pete at Sappi Fine Paper"
wrote in message ...
Hi folks.

The Workbooks keyword only seems to work for spreadsheets that are already
open. I can't seem to say, for example:

wkb = Workbooks("Y:\Downloads\6-7.xls")

So how do I refer to cells in that spreadsheet without opening it?

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

-Pete