Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Eric[_27_] Eric[_27_] is offline

Default how to identify built-in Names

Thanks Charles - very useful!

"Charles Williams" wrote in message
Name Manager has an option to hide or show system names.

The filters we use to identify system names are as follows:

If sName Like "*_FilterDatabase" Then
If sName Like "*Print_Area" Then
If sName Like "*Print_Titles" Then
If sName Like "*.wvu.*" Then
If sName Like "*wrn.*" Then
If sName Like "*!Criteria" Then

There may be more ...

regards
Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.1 now available
www.DecisionModels.com

Hi Eric,

There are quite a few of these built in names, or rather names used by
Excel. Eg, "FilterDatabase" is a hidden sheet level name created with an
Auto filter and could cause minor problems if deleted.

Apart from these names it would be an idea to check any range name you
are
about to delete has no precedents or dependants, which can be done
programmatically. But there might be others such as named formulas.

However I wouldn't want to delete names in user's workbook. Instead I
would
recommend user to use the "Name Manager" utility by Jan Karel Pieterse
and
colleagues:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/ navigate to the utilities page

Regards,
Peter T

"Eric Fingerhut" wrote in message
That was my thought too Vasant. I don't want to force the user to
recreate usefull settings if I don't have to.

Your technique is ok for handling Print related names, but there are
other built in names to, so it would be a lot nice if there was a way to
identify them, similar to the way a contol has a built-in property.

Thanks, Eric