Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mark Mark is offline

Default Having trouble getting sort to work in a macro

Thank you.

I would literally never have figured out the the character in question was a
lowercase "L", not a 1. It makes sense, now ('excel',duh) but, as a complete
newbie to VB, I assumed that "x1" was a data type precursor to let the
compiler know that what was coming needed to be converted (similarly to how
hex constants are entered into code in other languages).

Arg.

You are my new hero :-)

"Vasant Nanavati" wrote:

Perhaps you want to change x1Ascending and x1Descending to xlAscending and
xlDescending. (the letter "l"; not the number "1").

Using Option Explicit would help to avoid these problems in the first place!
:-)

--

Vasant

"Mark" wrote in message
I'm trying to get a sort statement to work within a macro and having very
little success.

here'a a code snippet:

Worksheets("TempLstData").Select

Range("A1:AX256").Sort Key1:=Range("p2"), Order1:=x1Ascending,
Key2:=Range("al2") _
, Order2:=x1Descending, Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1,
MatchCase:=True _
, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, DataOption1:=xlSortNormal,
DataOption2:=xlSortNormal

I got this code from funning the macro recorder... I have a small test
worksheet on which this bit of code seems to work, but when I try to run

it
within the actual workbook I get the following (very helpful?) error

message:

Run-time error '1004'
Sort method of Range class failed.

When I click on the debug link I see the entire sort statement highlited.
The help link takes me to a very non-specific error message about a Macro
error.

ANy help or insights will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get this
sort capability added to a worksheet that is due in the morning.

Mark