Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Elena Elena is offline

Default diabling save

This doesn't work. I need to disable the "save" option so they cannot save
it to the original file. I would like the "save" option to be disabled in
the menu & tool bar. I would like for them to still be able to click "save
as" on the menu bar. This way, the document can be saved under a name they
so select.

Thanks anyway,

Any other ideas?
~Elena

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

Why not just create a template (.xlt) file or set up your file as read only,
or even just proctect the workbook. If you use VBA then every time the file
is to be saved it has to be saved as a new file name. For example if someone
creates a file from your master document then they must save it under a new
name. If they then want to modify the file they created they once again have
to save it as a new name. End users get very frustrated by this. If you still
want to proceed with VBA here is some code for you to test...

Cancel = True
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show "C:\Test.xls"
End Sub

HTH

"Elena" wrote:

I am trying to disable the "save" command on the menu and tool bar. I would
like the user only to be able to "save as". I do not want the user to be
able to overwrite the original document. I would like them to save it as a
new document if the so wish to do.

Could someone tell me the VB code to do this?

Thanks in Advance,
Elena