Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default Lookup Functions

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

With your data in a table covering A2:E5 and with the two parameters in A8
(Date) and A9 (Type), you could use a combination of VLOOKUP and MATCH

=VLOOKUP($A$8,$A$2:$E$5,MATCH($A$9,$B$1:$E$1,0)+1, FALSE)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"SmilingPolitely" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that might be something like:

Apple Banana Chips Drink
01/05 0 0 0 1
02/05 0 1 0 0
04/05 1 0 0 0
04/05 0 0 1 0

What I need to do is read the value in the top row, given a particular
date (from the first column) to return the value from the top row where
the intersection of the row and column is 1

I cannot get my head around the lookup functions, lookup, hlookup, vlookup
etc to allow me to return the axis value given the intersection value!

I hope someone can help, or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.