John Mansfield

Cindy,

Given that "Town" is in cell A1 and using this data as an example:

Town Names Members
Rochester Smith 4
Rochester Jones 3
St. Paul Smith 2
Minneapolis Franklin 4
Rochester Jamison 2
Minneapolis Jones 3
St. Paul Smith 2
St. Paul Jones 4
Rochester Barnes 3

Total Smith members = 8 (see formula below)

=SUMIF($B$2:$B$10,"Smith",$C$2:$C$10)

The number of Smith Families with 2 members = 2 (see formula below)

=SUMPRODUCT(($B$2:$B$10="Smith")*($C$2:$C$10=2))

The number of Smith families = 3 (see formula below)

=COUNTIF(B2:B10,"Smith")

You might want to look up the SUMPRODUCT, SUMIF, and COUNTIF functions in
Help for explanations.

What type of chart do you need to create?

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Cindy" wrote:

Column A is Town, Column B is names, Column C is how many in each household.
How can Excel add & tell me how many Smiths in each town and, if possible,
how many Smith families with 2 people in each town. Then I want to chart the
info. How many of each family name by town.