Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default Attension MVP's

Hi Robert,

I seriously object to the contributions I freely make to many
online communities being co-opted without my permission like this for
monetary gain by a third party.

Interesting and fair comments.

Seems that Google-groups has gone the way of your friends at CyclingForums,
and also use your old contributions as a source to derive an income stream
from advertisers. To my dismay, the UK version has just gone the way of its
parent.

Regards,
Peter T

"Robert Bruce" <rob@analytical-dynamicsdotcodotukay wrote in message
Roedd <<Dick Kusleika wedi ysgrifennu:

" strictly prohibited and may result in legal action "

Yeah, right. So every time this guy answers a newsgroup post, he
files with the copyright office? That would be a pretty expensive
hobby. I don't doubt that he owns the copyright to what he posts,
but if he doesn't file, good luck trying to enforce it. And that's
assuming he's in the US. If he's in a different country than the web
forum he's suing, well, I doubt they'll be too worried.

Hi Dick.

Actually, it's not meant to be that serious. It's just a comment on the

fact
that something (usenet) that has been traditionally been free (in both the
'free speech' and 'free beer' senses) has started to be privatised by web
forums. This all started for me when a web site called CyclingForums in

the
UK started gulping up the whole of uk.rec.cycling and presenting it for

all
the world as one of its own creations including the inevitable cheesy ad
banners etc. I seriously object to the contributions I freely make to many
online communities being co-opted without my permission like this for
monetary gain by a third party. A similar issue exists with the likes of
officekb.com here.

Nothing much I can do about it, of course, except put meaningless (and,
frankly, idle) threats in my sig.

--
Rob

http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/

This message is copyright Robert Bruce and intended
for distribution only via NNTP.
Dissemination via third party Web forums with the
exception of Google Groups and Microsoft Communities
is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action.