Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Alan Beban[_2_] Alan Beban[_2_] is offline

Default Attension MVP's

JE McGimpsey wrote:
He doesn't need to file with the copyright office to enforce an
injunction. He, in theory, could seek compensatory damages without
filing with the copyright office, but it's hard to see what he could
claim as damage. It would need to be filed if he wants punitive damages.

I haven't looked for a long time, but I think the law is more along the
lines that you can't get compensatory damages for periods prior to the
time that the infringer had notice of the existence of the copyright
(and a filing with the copyright office is deemed to be one form of
notice); and I wouldn't expect that filing with the copyright office
would be required for punitive damages, though the infringer's knowledge
of the existence of the copyright would certainly be one of the
requirements for punitive damages.

Alan Beban