Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Philip Philip is offline

Default Is this an Excel / VBA Bug (XL 2000) ?

Ok this is a little strange...

If you put a list validation (like 'Y/N' from another range) on a cell, then
using the macro recorder record the following actions:
1) copy
2) select destination range
3) PasteSpecial (choose Validation as the paste option)

stop recording.

You get code like this:
Selection.Copy
Range("F3:F8").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlDataValidation, Operation:=xlNone, _
SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

Now, when you try to run this with 'Option Explicit' there is an error
'variable not defined on the 'xlDatValidation' ! if you try to run it without
Option Explicit, the PasteSpecial method fails...

Not only that, if you search the Object Model (F2) for 'xlDataValidation' it
doesn't exist!

Of course, xlPasteAll works, but it is strange that the macro recorder can
find 'xlDatValidation' but the VBA Compiler can't and neither is it in the
Object Model!

Lovely !

So I say this is a bug - and how do we get it fixed (or is it alright in
XP/2003) ?

thanks

Philip