Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Excel Sorting a 2-Dimensional Array

Will your real application only be single letters in the cells?

If not, this approach does not scale.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mr. Toppers,

Thank you for your response to my query.

I have attempted upon your suggestion of a solution and, after
array-entered the formula

{=CHAR(LARGE(CODE($A1:$C1),COUNTA(A1:$C1)))},

into every cell of the range E1:G5, the results appear to be as follows
:-
1. E1:G1 = A, C, E
2. E2:G2 = B, T, U
3. E3:G3 = C, O, P
4. E4:G4 = D, G, I
5. E5:G5 = E, F, L

6. And so, it's apparently a deviation from the desired results as
given below :-

7. E1:G1 = A, B, C
8. E2:G2 = C, D, E
9. E3:G3 = E, F, G
10. E4:G4 = I, L, O
11. E5:G5 = P, T, U

12. Please note that the general sorting (in alphabetical order) ought
to consider the group of entries in the range A1:C5 as a whole ;
instead of the piece-wise attempt (row-by-row) as portrayed by your
formula.

13. Regards.