Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
WillRn WillRn is offline

Default Creating a unique ID number based on date and time

Thanks Tom, works great!

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

FollowUpInitial.EventID.Value = CMTAudit.AcctNumberTxt.Value & "-" _
& CMTAudit.EventCode.Value & "-" & format(Time,"hhmmss")

Tom Ogilvy

"WillRn" wrote in message
I have a question that I think might be fairly simple to answer.

I have the following line of code to create a fairly unique ID number for

spreadsheet that tracks follow up issues. It is as follows:

FollowUpInitial.EventID.Value = CMTAudit.AcctNumberTxt.Value & "-" _
& CMTAudit.EventCode.Value & "-" & _
Format(CMTAudit.AuditDateTxt.Value, vbLongTime)

The "AccountNumberTxt.Value" is unique to each patient visit but not to

time
or date.
The "EventCode.Value" identifies the type of issue that we are tracking.
The "AuditDateTxt.Value" puts in the current date the issue was found.

The ID Number then looks like this: 123456-NPSG1a-38440

However, I can have multiple occurances of the same issue on the same
account and the same date and this creates duplicates in the ID number.

Can
I insert as a number (sort of like the date, i.e. 5 digits) the value for

the
current time to the second? I have tried simply this:

FollowUpInitial.EventID.Value = CMTAudit.AcctNumberTxt.Value & "-" _
& CMTAudit.EventCode.Value & "-" & Time

But I keep getting: 123456-NPSG1a-09:54:06

While this could work for my identifier, I would prefer just a 5 or 6

digit
number.

Is this possible?