Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Otto Moehrbach Otto Moehrbach is offline

Default Install 2002 & 2003 on same computer

WinXP
I am helping an OP with a large project. He is 1000 miles away so
everything is long distance or email. I have Excel 2002, he has 2003. This
has caused no problems throughout the project development until now.
One problem has cropped up that appears (just "appears" at this point)
to be version related. I won't go into the details of the problem because I
haven't defined it sufficiently at this point.
I have a copy of 2003 that I installed once over my 2002, but I elected
to revert back to the 2002 because of the Help changes and the fact that
comments in these newsgroups indicated that the benefits of 2003 over 2002
were not worth the Help hassle of 2003.
All that said, I want to install 2003 on my stand-alone computer along
side my 2002 so that I can properly troubleshoot this one problem. I know
that many of you have multiple versions installed so I know it can be done.
I am asking for some guidance from those of you that have already done
this so that I might avoid some of the pitfalls. For instance, should I
install 2003 in a folder outside of Program Files (where 2002 resides)?
Should I avoid running both at the same time?
Should I avoid saving my 2002 file under 2003 or should I make a copy of it
under another name and save it under 2003?
Have you run into any "mines" with this that I should avoid stepping on?
I am aware of the file association problem and I can work with that.
Thanks for your help. Otto