Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mykal Mykal is offline

Default Controlling an application from excel vba

Thank you - the hyperlink opens the exe application
but unfortunately, even when I register the file with this application, the
application starts up without the file

BUt it is a start
Thanks again

"Gary's Student" wrote:

If you insert a hyperlink in a cell that points to your .exe or .com program
file, then a simple click will start the app running. If the data file used
by your application has a file association, then point the hyperlink to this
data file. For example setting a hyperlink to WORD will start WORD running.
Setting the hyperlink to a .doc file will both start WORD and load the .doc
file.

"Mykal" wrote:

I have a old Fortran based application where I calculate thermodynamic
properties. It runs in a window, but is definitly not window complient (menu
driven, but has short cuts like Ctl + Ins to copy, Shft + Ins to paste)
The interface/output from this application are text files
The only ouput is a Txt file - 265 pages long
The input files are also Txt files, where I change parameters to vary what
will be calculated - after which I "run" the program and it generates the
text files

So I built a excel spreadsheet to pull the text files and convert them into
spreadsheets -where I can analyse the data
I also wrote macros to take data from my Excell files and rewrite the input
text files

I would like to go the next step, and get Excel to
Open this application
Open a specific file
Run the file
and close

Can anyone point in a direction to learn how to do this

Thanks
--
Mike Matheson
Canada