Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default Length limitation of cell formulas

Hi Tom,

We appear to get different results. I've doubled checked and the "long"
formula with long sheet name still works, on manual recalc or if I change
any of the values on Sheet2 A1:A161. I've even pasted back the code from my
post. Also saved reopend a test file. No errors.

Another difference - for me the "long" formula truncates to exactly 1000
after changing the sheet name, not 1023. The original formula length is 1019
(before renaming the sheet).

The 5849 (typo 5489) characters is the calculated length of the formula
after changing the sheet name from "z" to the long name.

Does it work / not work for anyone else ?

Regards,
Peter T

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
that just caused an error on the first message box. (xl2003). The

formula
was truncated to 1023 characters. what is the significance of 5489. It
appears the limit is 1024 as stated in help. If you do a recalc, you will
see the truncated formula isn't functional (it isn't secretly working as

it
appears you are trying to imply).

Tom Ogilvy

typo: