Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default What's in a (macro) NAME?

It isn't arbitrary. In excel itself it is dependent on the activeworkbook.
Look at it. Change activeworkbooks and look again.

If it can't find the macro it is because you have not specified where it is
located. Nothing has changed from my explanation. Maybe my explanation is
not clear but it seems clear to me.

Tom Ogilvy

"CLR" wrote in message
Hi Tom.....

Thanks for the explanation, and it pretty much seems to be that way (here

in
XL97land) if I go to Tools Macros from within the VBE, but if I do it

from
the worksheet, it's a different story, more like what I described, with
apparently arbituary assignment of the prefix's.

I just wrote two different Application.Run statements calling in two
different SubRoutines from two different modules, both in the active

project.
One worked fine, and the other gave error msg, "cant find the macro".

When
I copied and pasted the macro over to the same module as the

Application.Run
statement, it worked fine......When I looked at the errant macro's

original
name from the worksheet Tools Macros, the MacroName had the prefix of

the
WorkbookName.

Any other thoughts?
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck ( "Smith XVI, of Florida"<G), CABGx3

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Only the macros in the activeworkbook do not have additional prepended
information. The minimum information to identify the macro uniquely is
included. If you have two macros with the same name in different

modules,
then you will get the module name prepended as an example.

Same for application.run. If it isn't in the activeproject or in the
thisworkbook workbook, then you have to use the workbook name.

In 1st grade, if there was only one Chuck, the teacher said "Chuck". If
two, perhaps "Chuck Smith" and if the father were present and one was a
junior, "Chuck Smith, Jr" Same for excel.

Tom Ogilvy

"CLR" wrote in message
Hi All......

When I do Tools Macro Macros, I get a nice list of all my macros.

Only
thing is, some of them are named just the name I gave them, and some

include
the FileName and/or ModuleName as a prefix. I don't like this, and
"Application.Run ("MacroName") will not find the macro unless I

include
that
prefix, which of course I do not want to do..........any way I can

keep
the
Editor from assigning these prefix's, or deleting them and/or renaming

the
macros so the new names will stick?

TIA
Vaya con Dios,