Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett[_4_] Don Guillett[_4_] is offline

Default VBA function : How to search a string in another string?

since you have a list how about a lookup or match
=if(vlookup(right(a1,2),lookuptable,1),1,"")

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"bibi-phoque" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
I am a beginner in VBA, and I need a function that return 1 or 0
depending if my string contains one of the US states.

To explain a bit more :

If my cell = "East Syracuse, NY"
I want to return 1 because there is a US state in the string.
If my cell = Karlsruhe, Germany
I want to return 0

I have a list of all the US states (2 letter code).
For the function, I don't mind if it is a big "if then" with all the
50 conditions (number of US states).

I am aware of the FIND function in Excel, which does what I need, but
the formula is too big (I need to compare with the 50 US states), it's
why I need a macro. And FIND is not a vba function...
One more thing : it has to be case sensitive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Yann