Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jamie Collins Jamie Collins is offline

Default sql query for excel column values

"Daniel Seipel" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I receive daily. there are about

anywhere from
50-1000 values in column A that I need to query an sql database

for.The
spreadsheet name changes daily and the number of rows change daily.

It's
always column A (with a header). I'd like to program excel to

start at cell
A2, do the query, return the results to a new workbook, and

continue down the
list until the end.

No need to loop through the values row-by-row. SQL is a set based
language and, using Jet's ability to create a join between a table
(e.g. Excel range) and an odbc table, you can get all the data you need
(no more, no less) in one hit e.g. something like:

SELECT
MSSQL.key_col, MSSQL.data_col
FROM
[ODBC;Driver={SQL
Server};SERVER=MYSERVER;DATABASE=MYDATABASE;UID=** *;Pwd=***;].MyTable
AS MSSQL
RIGHT JOIN
[Excel 8.0;HDR=NO;Databse=C:\MyWorkbook.xls;].[MySheet$A2:A65535] AS
XL
ON MSSQL.key_col = XL.F1
ORDER BY XL.F1;

Jamie.