Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] stuart_bisset@yahoo.com is offline

Default Switching calculation to manual using Workbook_open

I have a large workbook which takes a while to recalculate, hence one
of my workbook_open macros sets the calculation mode to
xlCalculationManual. However if I already have a workbook open, which
is set to xlCalculationAutomatic, then my large workbook performs a
full calculation before running the workbook_open macros. I can
interupt this by, say, pressing the CAPS LOCK key but whilst I know to
do this other users of this model may not.

Having searched other posts I found only 1 (somewhat cumbersome)
solution which is to open a dummy workbook which contains a macro which
switches calculation mode to manual then opens the large workbook then
closes itself. I am not keen on this idea as it means issuing every
user with 2 files.

I tried replicating my pressing of CAPS LOCK, using the SENDKEYS
command as the first statement in the workbook_open procedure but this
didn't work.

Can anyone help me out? How do I stop the model from calculating upon
opening so that the workbook_open macros run immediately?

TIA

Stuart