bj

this is something that people ask fairly often.
Is is doable? Sometimes
What often happens is that when there are a lot of numbers in the file,
there are several or a lot of unwanted combinations which will equal one of
the totals.

algorithms which make a match and remove that data from the data set, are
normally left with unmatchable numbers for the last of the combinations.
Occassionally there can be an algorithm working to eleimainate unique
combinations before they try to balance the rest of the possible
combinations.
If you have just a few numbers, you could try writing some macros to try to
do the job.

The first time I tried to set up a macro to try to do this, there were a
couple of thousand data points for about 200 totals, and I calculated the
full brute force calculation would be done about when gy great grandchildren
would be out of college. (I don't have any grandchildren yet.)
"Handsy11" wrote:

Hey all,

Not sure if this can be done using functions or if it requires a macro
but here goes...

I have a long list of numbers relating to invoice totals.....I need to
know which combination of numbers would equal the total given to me for
invoices charged at a particular rate of tax.....

To provide an simplified example:

I have ten numbers referring to invoice totals: 100, 45, 2000, 50, 11,
2020, 66, 3333, 1265, 88

I know that the total for invoices charged at a rate of 21% = 5419

I want to know is there a way of creating a function (or macro) that
would identify that the combination of 2020 + 66 + 3333 would give me
the required total???

Does that make sense??If not tell me and Ill try to simplify or
elaborate as required...

I would really appreciate any help...

Thanks in advance

--