Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Darrin Henry[_2_] Darrin Henry[_2_] is offline

Default Need Help with a File Search

Hello,
I have a situation that I can't figure out how to accomplish. I have a
folder that currently has about 310 excel files in it. The file names
are mostly random. In the end what I need to do is find out the contents
of a particular cell in each file. The cell I need is a constant one, it
is K38 in each file. Once I have this information, I need to put that
value into appropriate cells in the workbook I'm coding in.
Currently I'm using a file search(the code is a direct cut from the
Visual Basic help)
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Set fs = Application.FileSearch
With fs
.LookIn = "P:\Test"
.Filename = "*.xls"
If .Execute(SortBy:=msoSortByFileName, _
SortOrder:=msoSortOrderAscending) 0 Then
MsgBox "There were " & .FoundFiles.Count & _
" file(s) found."
For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
MsgBox .FoundFiles(i)
Next i
Else
MsgBox "There were no files found."
End If
End With
End Sub

However, all this does is inundate the workbook with message boxes
telling me the file names. I've tried to get that data dumped into
cells, but have no luck. Any ideas? If you need clarification just ask.
Thanks.